Search This Blog

Sunday, February 1, 2015

Taking a break to bring you a post

Taking a Break?!? "From What?" I hear you gasp. From Fox Paws...


Fox What? It's this little pattern a few of us crazy knitter folk have dove into. I have a chunk done, but not without some erstwhile cursing let me tell you. It is not an easy pattern and it is definitely not "brainless" knitting that can be taken to the movie theater. Oh no... It's pushing my limits at times to even have my audio book playing while working on it. The Guy thinks it's funny that when he speaks to me, I have to mentally and physically come to a stop, note my spot, turn off the book and make eye contact with him before telling him to repeat himself. That is not how I normally am. I often multi-task my knitting. I can chat, listen to a book or watch a movie, I've even been known to perhaps walk from room to room with it so as not to have to put it down. But this pattern...


See that blue row that works in out of the work there? That's actually two rows of knitting, and that my dears, is 4 hours of work. Yes, four hours. And I am not, a slow knitter. I'm not grease lightening by any means, but I'm not a sloth either. It took me that long because Xandy Peters is a sadistic creature amazing knitter and designer who dreamt up this brocade looking piece using just increases and decreases that requires you to pay complete attention to what your doing. And let's face it, I wasn't far enough into the work to really "see" what I was doing yet. But once I got this mind f*ing tortuous brain puzzle incredible wondrous series of stitches down into that strange little geometric part of my brain that said, "ahhhh, see, there it is" It was a breeze. Fingers crossed, I can fly from here. I know, that sounds like I just cursed myself, but I did make a goof later, found it two rows later and was able to fix it without tearing back, so I'm hoping I'm on track. Well, besides that little fact that forgot to read the actual color change chart, but we are omitting that little fact, and I'm going to just make it up as I go. Why should this piece be any different than any others? I'm sure Ms. Peters had a really good reason for her color sequencing, but I'm choosing to ignore that at this point, okay? Just let me have my delusions and I won't take pictures of the dogs huddling in fear as I explode at my own stupidity down the road. Deal?

Let's face it, when the Yarn Harlot herself has moments like these, I should have realized I was in for it.


I shouldn't really say I'm taking a break, as it's noon and I'm still in my laze about clothes. You see, we're finally getting our snow! That picture above doesn't truly show it very well, but we have thin dry snow being blown in by a chilly north wind. the wind, isn't new. It's been hanging around since Thursday. Don't judge me about the laze about clothes, I did change enough to do the first round of shoveling.


I thought these Ice Fishers were insane standing out on the lake in Caledonia on Friday. It was actually in the high 20's but the breeze ripping off the lake was frigid feeling. I was glad I was walking and throwing the frisbee so I could stay a bit warm.


Wednesday night, Thursday morning we got rain, then snow, then it warmed up a bit before the wind kicked on later in the day so the snow though not deep, got a great crust on it that allowed for the dogs to run and play. Not quite thick enough for some daring jumps and catches, but thick enough to run and goof off.



It was cold enough to make my hands hurt trying to get this shot. Not a great video, but they had fun.


I know, I'm talking to Wyomingites about wind... It's not that bad, but it's not fun either. And keep in mind, down here at 800 feet above sea level, we have more air to move, even if at lower speeds so it still sucks. Thank goodness it's not daily.


Friday night we went to see American Sniper. I had seen that there was a lot of criticism and had read an article here and there about it and didn't have any real feelings one way or the other about it. Know, I'm not going to have a moral discussion about the role of snipers. Sorry, not going there. AS for the movie, it was interesting. I wouldn't say it was "good". Like that movie August: Osage County, I think it has an impact, but I would not call the movie good or bad. I think the story was interesting and should be told, but I wouldn't buy the movie to watch again.

As far as performance, I would have to say, it's probably the best performance I've seen out of Bradley Cooper. I'm not a big fan of his career, but he did a good job. An off camera performance I had to think about though was from the Director himself. I was struck as we were leaving that for an actor that often played glorified gritty war roles in his young career, as a director and writer, he certainly doesn't glorify it. I think Mr Eastwood openly looks at the affects war has on not only those that wage it, but those that are both present but not active in it, and those that are not present to the actual violence of the war. So, all in all, I think there was a social commentary being made by the film that is being overlooked by some, but we all bring our own thoughts to such a movie when we watch such a story.

There was definitely an impact by the film. When it came to a close, there wasn't the mad rush to be first out of the theater like there normally is. It was the first truly crowded movie we had gone to since we moved here, but there was a bit of a stunned silence as the closing credits ran with the photos at the end of the feature. There was a scattering of applause, which I'm sorry, frankly felt odd. Applause is for a live presentation that you are showing your appreciation to the performers, not a film. Those, I believe were the people that walked away feeling like the film portrayed a righteous American hero. I don't think it did the film that either nor was intended to, but I was struck by the fact that everyone seemed to be moved in some way at the end. Maybe even a bit stunned as there was that lack of normal post film movement.

I myself was stunned during the film by the emotion evoked by the scenes of the twin towers coming down again. It's been over a decade and just seeing those smoking towers on television though I was a continent away in Anchorage working a n ICU night shift when it occurred, causes a new sense of grief and loss every time. I find that I steer clear of things about it. Whether a television special, an anniversary newscast regarding it, or publications speaking of it. Yes, I knew someone who was at the Pentagon when it occurred that was uninjured, I have met people that were present in New York, but that is as close as I myself was personally affected, yet I still shy away from it. I haven't truly thought of it until the scene in the movie where it shows the newscast from New York in their home in San Diego and I still felt that inner cringe away from it. I think it was how my Mothers Generation felt about the John F. Kennedy assassination. I remember seeing not only my mother but others her age turn away from new casts and television shows that discussed it. Some with a look of grief on their faces. There are some things that shape not only our own psych, but that of an entire nation when they occur and I think both of these were such events.

Now that I've gotten way to deep on you all, let us discuss other things... Weather, check. Knitting, check, Emotional Scarring, check. Oh yes, spinning.


I got the stuff I showed you last week done.


I'm still not sure what I think about its colors.They were fun in the braid, but spun up, I just don't know.


I guess it all depends on the light. I love them downstairs in the shadowy basement. I wonder what that says about my mental processes and status? Hmmmm.

Okay, I've just been notified by The Guy that the dogs are somehow waiting for me to take them for another walk. So, I guess I best get to it. I really wish I would have got a picture of Emmitt hiding in the bath tub when we got home from the movie because he was a bbbbaaaaaaaad daaaawwwg. He really didn't want to go to the crate and felt the bathtub was a suitable alternative. Silly mutt.

No comments:

Post a Comment