Search This Blog

Saturday, May 17, 2014

Let Us Discuss Dogs

Before we get started, let me just preface this posting with saying that it may be my last post for a bit. Why? Because we don't know what we will be doing about internet as we move over to the real house and ours gets turned off here at the apartment this week. So, there may be a touch of radio silence for a few days here as we get things going.

Now, back on track. Dogs. Well, and Cats, because I have been asked several times this week if I've seen this video:



And when they know I have they want my opinion. First response. Wow, awesome cat.

Now let's go a bit deeper shall we? Is that therapist enough sounding for you yet? Kidding, but in all seriousness, this is just my opinion. All I have seen is this video and read several interviews regarding this incident. I wasn't there, and I haven't spoke to anyone directly involved, but let's discuss what we are seeing.

This footage was taken from this families security camera's that they installed because they have had some issues in the neighborhood with trespassing and break ins. You see from their drive way their oldest son playing on his bike as mom waters some plants. A neighbors dog that got out of it's yard when the owner was pulling their car into their fenced lot see's the child, attacks and is then chased off by the young boys family cat. Mom of the boy is then seen coming to check on her son, when she looks around sees the dog still present on the other side of the car and leaves the frame to chase the dog back to it's own house. As reported by the Bakersfield paper, she too was then bit but less seriously before taking her child to get medical attention.

Now the thing I think is cool. Not only does the cat chase off the dog, but as it first gets the dog off the child it appears to turn to make sure the child is okay, sees mom approaching and continues to chase the dog off. When Mom goes after the dog the cat returns and at the end as the child is up and moving  stays between the child and the direction it chased the dog.

Now, what people really keep asking me since they know my animal background a bit, is what was up with the dog? To me, the dog was on the hunt. In no way did this child provoke this attack. By all appearances the child didn't even know the dog was present. The dog spotted the child from the other side of the car, went around back, moved in with an assertive head, ears, and tail up manner and grabbed the child, shaking to stun him and dragging him back the way he came before the cat made contact. In my opinion, that dog was going for the kill, and the proper response that occurred to end the attack was the cat's. I'm sorry, but Mom having seen the dog's aggression should have kept her distance but I'm sure she was going a bit Mama Bear at the moment and I can't say I blame her.

My concern here is that dogs don't normally prey upon people of any age. Why did this dog behave in this manner and what other encounters has this dog already had with people in this neighborhood? Why do I ask these questions? Because normally an attack of this magnitude was not the first sign that this dog has an aggression issue. He has been displaying warning signs for some time that I think have been ignored, or God forbid, allowed and intensified.

Why do I fear this may be the issue? The family that was injured has a security camera system. The paper said this animal escaped from a yard that was fenced but the gate was opened to allow a car to be parked. To me, the assumption is that they the dog owners have had some crime issues and the car was being placed inside a fence with an aggressive dog. If I were to hazard a guess, this dog is a "Guard Dog" and has been trained or encouraged to be aggressive. The problem with that kind of behavior modification, is stopping it when it is no longer "deemed appropriate" such as when the dog is no longer within it's property or situation such as this. This dog presents to me as aggressive and on the attack because of it's body language as it moved in on this child. In no way did this dog look to be scared or in fear of this child. He looked like he wanted to eat it.

The good news is that this dog was surrendered willingly and promptly to the authorities which have stated that the dogs is in their custody for 10 days of observation before euthanasia. Great, glad to hear it, but what's with the observation? It's a known attacker, which explains the euthanasia, but if we are afraid of it having rabies, the most reliable and quick form of diagnosis is brain tissue samples during the necropsy. Why not euthanize and do the samples so that this family can be put to ease about the contagion fear? I understand there is some policy somewhere that probably states there is a 10 day waiting period but I say screw the policy. There is no need to keep this animal alive for observation giving it 10 more days to harm an employee of the shelter in the standard day to day business.

That response may alarm some people that know I'm a dog lover. I am a dog lover but to me this aggressive outright predatory dog's life doesn't come above that of this four year olds, nor the mental well being of his already scared family. Just like some people, some dogs are broken. Their wiring is off, and I'm afraid this dog is one of them. Why? Probably due to a person. Seriously, SOMEBODY broke this dog. Whether on purpose or in an effort to make their own family feel safe, it's broken and not safe for people to be around. I hope that if what my instinct tells me happened did in fact occur, does this family that owned this dog sees the error of their ways and won't repeat this mistake. Do I think that will occur? No, I have more faith that the next dog will be a giant sweet heart that they can't break, than I do that they will see their part in this attack.

Like I said, this is just my opinion, and I don't know any of those directly involved. No matter how it all happened, like many of the people that have called me for canine assistance, I am sure they are nice people with their own talents, and down falls, they are just misguided, or ill-informed and we probably won't see eye on a dogs role in the household. I have never understood those people that say they have a dog that is stuck in a kennel or yard outside 24/7 that state it's for "Home Protection". I always ask them when they say this, "Really? And how is the dog able to protect your home when they're locked outside and the intruder is inside?" Just a thought. Okay, enough of this.

But, let's talk more dogs. Remember this idiot?
Yeah, that's Tucker. And I'm showing you his butt for a reason here. Tucker has tape worms. Tucker has tape worms really badly. I've never seen tape worms this bad. They have been in his poop for days and now they are stuck all over the fur on his butt. That was a real joy to brush out when I found those. Poor guy. He's now been medicated and we're trying to keep him cleaned up, but I still feel kind of bad for him.

On a high note though, because we're still at the apartment, we go out with them and clean up every poop so hopefully we don't infect any of the other dogs around including our own, and he's got them out of his system before this amazing yard is all his.
That's right, that is their new yard. And that blue speck down there? That's the Guy. Perfect frisbee yard for the Emmitt Dog, no? Oh Joy!
This was from the back corner of the lot down towards the front. You can't see the front lawn which is twice as long as the back, but it isn't fenced. And that gravel and sand plot right there in the middle? That is where the previous owners had the play set for their little girls, and you know what, I really don't feel like hauling pea gravel and sand, so I think this is the perfect spot for a little chicken coop and yard, no? I only want a couple for fresh eggs,and they will be behind two fences and have a "dog moat" to protect them from foxes, skunks, raccoons and opossums. That's right, we're in marsupial rat country here folks(I actually think they are kind of cool, I just don't want them in my chicken coop).

More pictures will come later, I promise. We went to take a look at some chairs and a table and were south towards the new house so we swung by. We've been hoping to connect with the previous owners before they're gone just for a general walk though but no luck. They were not there and they look mostly moved out. So since technically it's our yard, we decided to walk about a bit.
On the way there we passed through Alaska Michigan. I still wish we could have found a place here. I think it would have been neat to live in Alaska, and it's a pretty little village. And hey, it has a pretty cemetery there in the background, no?

As you can see we are sunny here today, but it's been cooler the last few days. In fact we got a light frost Thursday night just to scare all those people who got a little stir crazy and planted. It was light enough though it seems everything fared well despite the low temps.
That chilly morning I was taking the dogs out and as I pulled up to the ski trails we use, this blue bird was fluffing itself all up to stay warm as the sun started to break through. Sorry, crappy cell phone pic, it was all I had with me. I didn't even have it yesterday when I was running the boys out at Luton Park on the mountain biking trails when we saw the years first Scarlet Tanagers. Wow, are those birds beautiful.
I lifted this image since I don't have one to show you from http://www.hdwallpaperscool.com/scarlet-tanager-bird-wallpapers/. I shrunk this image so if you want a wallpaper from this site you have to pay them. Sorry, I'm all about supporting businesses with proper internet ethics.

While the boys and I were running back there at Luton I had to keep telling myself not to stop to look at all the plants. It's been a couple weeks since we've gone back there. I know, you don't need to guilt my fat bum about not getting out there to run them more, but my goodness has it greened up fast. It was still pretty brown when we were last there. Now not only are the trees coming out but the ground covers are popping out and everything has flowers! Just gorgeous. I may have to sneak out Monday before work and get some shots.

Okay, now enough about the down sides of dogs, whether it be the occasional vicious one or the nasty things they introduce to us. Let us review some images from an email the Guy sent me this week about the best babysitter some kids can ask for.

That's right, teach her young how to make a dog heel!



I think this one is my favorite of these shots. You gotta love Goldies.




Of these last two, which one's truly the baby sitter and who's the baby being sat?


Who needs a fancy recliner?



Hey, a little privacy here please?!?



Kids, they have no respect for their elders these days...

Life Guard on Duty


Some cat has these two well trained. They're out catching dinner while the cats sleeping
All right you all. Have a great weekend. I will get back on here when I can. Just think, we'll have a place all our own in a few days. With a yard! We won't have to listen to that little monster upstairs ever again. Seriously, who think before bed baths happen at 11pm? That's all right, we're just raising the next guests for the Dr Phil Show and Jerry Springer here at the Pine Ridge Apartments. Someone has to keep them in business.

G'Night.



3 comments:

  1. that yard looks amazing...and the house in the distance looks pretty sweet as well!! loved all the dog/kid pictures..so cute! dogs are held for 10 days to monitor for rabies. they could euthanize it and then cut off it's head to be sent to the lab for testing, but that is a yucky job...i know from experience. loved that bad ass cat!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man I want to come and spin on your DECK!! What a lucky dog you are!! That yard and house is awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What a yard and house! The dogs will be so happy to have space to run and play, above and beyond the jaunts to the parks.
    It was great talking to you yesterday and we all enjoyed it. Cindy is jealous that I shall see you at the retreat - providing it all comes together as planned so I can be there. However - being a touch superstitious - enough said on that subject, rather than jinx it.
    We woke up to dense fog in my part of Casper this morning - around 6 am - but it is now near 78 degrees downtown. Just the joys of a Wyoming Spring. Take care and all the best to the kids and the Guy. And yourself, of course. - Joe

    ReplyDelete