Search This Blog

Sunday, September 20, 2015

Intentions, don't always get you very far

Last weekend I had great ones even. I had photos I had gotten stashed away on the computer to give you all an updated post, then BAM! Life happened.


Nothing horribly important or big mind you. Just the fact that I worked 6 days out of 7 and the first part of the week The Guy was gone so it was just me and the furred and feathered ones and that doesn't leave me with a lot of spare time so I never got back to the computer after that first set up session.


Sunday night I sent the guy out with the boys for a walk while I played with the fire pit. As you can see, I had quiet a bit of success. So much so that we had ourselves wienies over the fire and he got s'more's for dessert. 'Bout time...




In the process of clearing out the brush and getting the fire going I saved several frogs that had taken shelter in it. Including taking a chorus tree frog back to the maple for shelter. There were many a wood frog that quickly vacated the premises as well. The bugs... Well, I didn't feel generous enough to move all the spiders by hand.


In the little precious spare time I've had that didn't involve the boys, eating or sleeping I did get another batch of gradient yarn done. It was wrapped up late Sunday night and was just measured and put away today between cleaning up dishes and helping The Guy fix the gate.


It's about 400 yards of three ply silky wool deliciousness. It falls somewhere between a Sport and DK weight. This one has less deep navy and more violet and lighter blue tones. I like it... Any ideas for what it should become?


And last week I wrapped up my knitting contribution to a local yarn stores fundraising efforts. They are making the Great American Aran Afghan to raffle off for cash to help villages without a clean water source in subsaharan Africa to build sand filters. Each knitter is doing a 12x12 square, and one of the stores employees will be doing the finishing work. Some of you may recall that I once helped teach this pattern in Wyoming so it was very little work to say that I would throw in some aid. Whats a little needle time to raise money for good causes?


Dishes today piled up because of this project I took on last night. Doesn't that look delicious? That is an apple coffee cake. Yes Sarah, the same. This last week a friend back in Casper Wyoming posted that she had made this same cake and boasted about it. Let me tell you, her boasting is well deserved.


It is so moist and delicious. I took the hint to make it the evening before and let it sit overnight and set it in it's own juices. I did a little flour blessing that I kind of regret but this cake will get wrote down in my book. You can find the recipe here. I will definitely be making this one too that she wrote about. I'll keep you posted as to it's rating.


But, back to Sarah's blog for a moment... Believe it or not Sarah, we have naughty dog problem too. Not near as many as you guys with a new rescue, but we do. See this smug fella here? He thinks he's sly. Well, his sly ass got his third bath in two weeks last night because he found some lovely poo to roll in. This is the second time since the first of the month baths. Last week he decided out of nowhere that chicken poo in the backyard was roll worthy. Of course he did as I was dressed for work and with fire damaged skin the guy couldn't was him. So he got to sit in a crate all day so he didn't spread it around the house until I could come home and wash him. Just what I wanted after an 11 hour day. I promise that tit happens, but it gets better. For those that are wondering what I'm talking about, look here. Oh, and let's not forget about her Friday night. I'm so sorry that that occurred, but I admit it. I laughed. Then I read it to The Guy. He laughed too.


And then theres the birds. These girls have just decided that they need our attention. And while we're at it, they would really love to come in too. I know The Guy almost closed on in the back door the other day and I myself had one make a break into the house as I was letting dogs in and trying to keep the cat inside awhile back now.


And it's all because of this little wee heathen who needs to be in everything. Two times in two days she has managed to get her filthy paws on yarn. And many times a day you have to chase her off or away from something you are trying to do.


That's okay, the boys aren't safe from her either.  She just loves to play in the water as they drink. Why? Who knows. She is a cat after all.


Her and Tucker have actually been getting along quite well. Frequently you hear them playing upstairs while your in other areas of the house. All the thumping and banging I swear I keep expecting a child to cry out like we suddenly have kids we weren't aware of before. At least that thought just made me thankful that it's only the cat.


This morning after coffee cake and some newspaper/yarn time we hit up the Fallesburg Art 
Festival to partake in festival food, craft shopping and just getting the boys out in public. Poor Sullivan had all those strangers touching him! He was a champ though. Only growled at one kid and she deserved it. So did her mother for standing there and letting her run full tilt at a strange dog. And she was too old for that kind of behavior. Overall they were wonderful and we got to browse the items on sale. I just keep realizing how old all three of them are getting and question if I need to look at getting some new blood in the pack to deal with that damn kitten.


Last weekend we really started to see cooler temperatures here and the shift in the foliage. Seeds to catch in dog coats are aplenty as are the colts that are starting to pop out. To boot, the produce available at markets, stores and roadside stands are starting to shift to the fall items such as butternut squash.


I couldn't resist picking one up last weekend and making up a batch of soup for the week. I have one container in there left that I plan on eating tomorrow for lunch. It is delicious and such a happy color.


Several weeks ago I wrapped up a blanket kit I bought a long time ago and just finally bothered to make. It was a fun knit though I ended up with so much extra yarn it's ridiculous. I can't tell you how many times I went back to the pattern thinking that perhaps I messed something up but no, I knit as far as it told me, then I knit a bit more before casting off. It's a fun little baby blanket that is stashed away until the next baby that arrives needs something warm.


I decided with the extra yarn to make a little sweater to go with it; however, that is still on the needles as I haven't quite figured out the hood on it. Yeah, I just decided to make a sweater and am making it up as I go. Any surprise I got stuck on it? Good thing there's no known kiddos on the way, eh? It will get finished someday, promise.

Well, that's about it for me this week. I hope to soon have a kittle more time to blog as we head into fall as the job situation is changing a bit. More on that later when it's actually happened but i hope to be down to just one job for a bit.


And don't forget, the evening of the 27th is the next lunar eclipse! I remembered when I caught site of the moon Monday night getting home from the afterwork dog walk. It will be visible from Michigan! Western parts of the continent will get to see parts of the show, but not the whole thing. Fingers crossed for clear skies.


1 comment:

  1. 1. Thanks for all the blog lovin'! 2. So glad the apple cake turned out great for you. Isn't it divine? I should probably go home right now and make another one. It was so scrumptious! If I were queen, I demand that be served daily. 3. Glad to hear I'm not alone in the naughty dog life. I appreciate that you're both appreciating my shenanigans! It's been a rough couple of days, that's for sure! Nico's latest conquest is Sadie's Princess Jasmine (of Aladdin) barbie doll. He chewed her feet off. Now she can't get Jasmine's high heels on. I offered to SuperGlue them on or amputate below the knee and then SuperGlue the heels on, but the kid's not having it. The campy John Waters parent in me is kind of loving Jasmine's freakishly mangled feet because come on, we're all a little freaky right? 4. I'm shocked the Guy would go near fire so soon. How are his wounds? 5. Gorgeous yarn. It begs to be a cowl ...for me! 6. Did I mention Nico attacked my yarn stash and took a bite out of my current project bag?! ACK! He managed to snip the working yarn but didn't take the project off the needles or snag it. So, small favors, I guess. After that he took a bite out of one of my vintage butcher-themed nesting dolls that the kids love to play with ...that got him a time out. Can't he just stick to those dreadful Barbies??!

    ReplyDelete