Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

The Mountains or the Burrow?

I was breezing through some web pages including another blogger's pages (Tossing the Stash) and saw a wonderful little quote.

"You moved the pot before the coffee stopped brewing. Do you smell the mountains or the burro?
I drink tea."

It's one of those things that made me stop and think. I know, you're sitting there and thinking, "Really? That made you have a moment of deep thought? Why do I waste my time reading this guy's blog?" Well dear reader, that I can't answer except to say that you love to indulge in others quirks as much as your own perhaps? But it was just one of those things that at first made me smile, then made me think, which do I smell?

And the answer to that I'm afraid is very complicated. On a moody (I won't say bad, I rarely have those, but have ones that make me moody as rhino with a thorn stuck in it's thick hided bum) day I would say the burro, and not in a nice way. On a good day, I'd say the mountains, because the smell of burnt coffee often makes me think of the tannin rich smell of fall in the alaska woods as the rain/snow fallen leaves start to decay and the lowbush cranberries come into season. Then there's those days that I'd say the burro, but in a good way. I'm one of those strange people who find the smell of horses and cows and their fertilizer rich droppings to be a good clean smell. And as a fellow knitter today found out in horror as I sniffed my Jacob yarn I self spun because it is still lanolin rich, I even like the smell of sheep. So, even though I drink tea, it depends on the sense of the day, but good lanolin rich yarn pressed to my nose will always make even the moodiest days a little brighter, as will a walk in the fall woods of home with my dogs (I love them but wet dirty old dog, still smells like wet dirty old dog... sorry kids).

Have a great week guys,
Q.

No comments:

Post a Comment