Search This Blog

Monday, July 25, 2011

Thick Blood

My slow moving thick alaskan blood is hating the "heat wave" we're having here in Casper. It's thinned out some in the three summers I've spent here, but not near enough to combat the high nineties. It just can't circulate fast enough to dissipate the latent heat. No matter how much clothing I lose in the effort. Stop... as I've stated before, the mental image is better than the reality. However; for all the sweating and dripping, there are bonuses to warmer climes. One of them being my garden.

This is the first morning glory of the season. I was worried that I had made the wrong choice to just go on last years reseeding and not planing older plants as I had the past two years. However, we're starting! I'm ready for some new blossoms since the garden finally seems to be fading to an end. This spring the daffodils through no effort of my own were a riot of blossoms. The most since we moved in. It was followed by the few tulips that seem to keep returning of their own accord. The dead nettles and sweet woodruff blossomed out immediately after the daffodils began to fade and stayed vibrant until the spiderwort matured and then the salvia, lambs ear and cat mint in the front blew up. Before they had faded I went to the retreat and came home to the clematis exploding more than I could have hoped for.

I have to say, having only planted a single pot of annuals this year, I do enjoy the fact that I have a seasonal garden that will come in year after year without large money expenditures on flowers that will come to an end at the end of the summer. The morning glories are the only annual that I have planned for next year, and as I did this past year, I will let them reseed themselves.

Anyway, enough about my flowers. As much as I adore them, I doubt anyone else truly cares much about them. As for the hot weather, I tested my cars air conditioner yesterday to keep myself and the dogs cool on the way to Bob's sisters place outside Glendo. He took his parents down and since we have a few too many critters to make us comfortable in the 4runner, I drove down my car with the kids. All in all, it was a very pleasant Sunday afternoon barbecue in their place they have under construction.
The menfold bonding
I hope all of your Sunday's were as enjoyable and the those of you who love the heat have mine too and those who require coolness find some.

No comments:

Post a Comment