Search This Blog

Sunday, July 29, 2012

Stretching Ones Self

I've never liked going to the gym, but I've always liked exercising. I know, that sounds kind of odd, right? Well, my problem with gyms is I like to exercise alone. My favorite time to hit the gym is between 0200 and 0400 in the morning because it tends to be empty and I can do my own thing without interruption. I can't even tell you the times and ways that people have found to interrupt me when I have my sweat mojo going on. I've had the usual meat market flirting, and also the sales pitches for vitamins and diet plans. It's ridiculous. But beyond that, I seem to get the same overcrowded anxiety at the gym as I do when I'm in a bar and the crowd starts getting really rowdy. I have no idea why, it's just one of those things and I thank all the Gods for twenty four hour gyms.

And in my recent return to the gyms, I've forgotten how much I used to enjoy yoga classes. They seem to be an exception to my rule regarding crowded gyms when you're in the presence of a good instructor. They somehow seem to be able to make me feel like I'm the only person in the room and that my attempts at any pose is good. Unfortunately my gym that I'm a member of has gone to the "hot yoga" scene. I hate being hot, and I can't see why I would lock myself in a sauna room to leave a puddle on the floor and my yoga mat. Sorry, it's just not my thing.

The last couple of nights I've been noticing how tight my legs and pelvis specifically seem to be, so tonight while I had the computer cranked on, I went ahead and got onto iTunes and downloaded some yoga videos. And tonight, though I struggled through 30minutes of yoga, I feel so much better. The last little video had an instructor that reminded you to stop, take a moment for yourself throughout the day so you can give more of you to others. And it's that, that I miss about yoga class. Taking a yoga class after a heavy workout that is more tuned to what my body alone needs, always reminded me that I was doing this for me. It brought my head and heart back into the work out.

So, for now, it's me and my yoga videos on the computer, but I urge you to find that one things that re-engages you into your day and do it for you.

Have a great weekend,
Q.

1 comment:

  1. you may have inspired me to get back to my yoga dvd. like you i fine the gyms too crowded. swimming works though as once you are under the water, you are alone for some reason.

    ReplyDelete