Search This Blog

Friday, August 19, 2011

Better Late then Never

I had planned to post yesterday. It was on my list of to do items for my first day off work. Yes, every Thursday morning in the quiet hours of work I tend to sit and make my list of "stay awake" projects. But somehow I had forgotten that I had scheduled myself some afternoon training appointments. After a particularly bad experience when I worked both ICU and the local zoo where in an exhausted state I managed to not be able to react fast enough to an owl got myself footed nicely, I try to make sure I get some sleep before handling animals. So, I made a point of sleeping the morning away so I could get up and go work with other peoples dogs. Unfortunately that cut into my morning blog posting and photography time.

To combat this, I got up early this morning and got a pie baked, and using morning light some pictures taken. Now here I sit getting a post together wondering about why I'm stressing about a self imposed time table. I have truly forgotten how much I don't care for making pie crust. I don't know why. It's not truly a chore, but I have never cared for it. That's why I opted for the "Dutch" apple pie that doesn't require the top crust. Just makes my life a little easier. It's also why I often go the cobbler route over the pie option as well.
Please don't mind the dusty cook top. I've worked all week and haven't used it. I am still amazed by how dusty Wyoming is. You leave for a week and come home to find everything with a coating of dust that makes it appear you've been gone for months.

And I have a question for all the other cooks out there. Are you ever amazed at the prep time listed on recipes? I am always staggered and wonder what world these people live in. I know it takes me more than 10minutes to peel, core and slice enough apples for a pie, combine the cinnamon, sugars, and nutmeg into it, prep my crust and stuff a pie. And this is not the first time I've noticed these times that I typically need at least half again to twice as much time with. And I cook regularly. I'm not a dolt in the kitchen. I'm not a chef by any means, but I make edible and occasionally fantastic food. Admittedly there have been failures in the kitchen as well. But I am always curious where they get those approximate prep times.

And... Baby Hats. About time I got caught up from my knitters block. I try to make a few a month, but failed in July which with traveling and a lot of other time constraints, was a very busy month for myself. But I got July and Augusts quotas filled and heading out the door tonight.


Being Friday, I hope you all have a great weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment