Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

A Return to the Baby Hat

It dawned on me the other day as I sat tediously knitting on the sweater sleeve that I had gray burnout. Not knitting burnout mind you, just gray. Don't get me wrong, I love gray. It's one of my favorite colors to wear, but I had knit two fairly substantial projects recently (a sweater and a pair of socks) in it, and my eyes were craving color. So, I returned to this.
This past year as some of you may recall, I took up the call for charity knitting. Well, this last fall with Christmas fast approaching I dove head first into knitting for the holidays and forgot all about my charity knitting. So, before the first month of the enw year is up, I have reinstated my minimum of 5 baby hats a month for one of the local county hospitals. I have more coming soon, I promise.

And Kim, thank you so much for taking these in for me. I appreciate it immensely.

The other night I pulled a yarn harlot. For all of you who don't know what I mean you can find her blog here. You see, I was expecting a friend to pick me up for a High School Choir concert and I realized that I did not want to drag the sweater there to work on so I quickly dug out some yarn, a set of size 2 needles and cast on the ribbing of a baby hat so I could work on it during the concert. The thought of sitting through the concert without my hands busy working on something was terrifying! I chuckled about it later when I realized what I had done.

I hope you are all doing well this week. I'll keep you posted later in the week when I finish up this set of shifts on.

4 comments:

  1. That's a great looking hat, Q. The yellow really sets off the deep green. Enjoy your break from gray yarn, it will be waiting patiently. - Joe

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, like Joe, think the colours you have chosen are beautiful. I can't think of any skin tone that would not benefit from wearing that hat. Do you find your patterns on the internet or do you just start knitting and create something from your experiences? Im interested, too, in the type of yarn you use. Is it acrylic or a blend?
    Ron in Mexico

    ReplyDelete
  3. I make it up as I go. I get my guage and run from there and just play with the stitchwork and colors as I go. This batch of hats is made with some leftover knit picks comfy fingering that is a 75% pima cotton and 25% acrylic blend so it's very washable. My charity hats are just made from what ever appropriate remnants I have on hand. This yarn came from a baby jacket kit I purchased from knitpicks.com.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I always neglect cotton as a natural fibre. Thanks for the inspiration. I am going to start with some sock yarn (which is washable) that I have on hand.

      Delete